WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS THROUGH STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING
An overview of the pillars that create champions. Know what to do and how to do it.
By Greg Shepard
Published: Spring 2002
KNOW WHAT TO DO
A. Train primarily with free weights. Emphasize the hips & legs with Squats and Cleans along with their variations.
B. Vary your workouts.
C. Weights should only take 3-4 hours per week during the off-season and only two 30-minute workouts during the in-season.
D. Train all year round, keep accurate records, attend to proper rest and nutrition, do plyometric, sprint, agility, endurance, flexibility and skill training.
KNOW HOW TO DO IT
A. Demand perfection in every phase of training.
B. The BFS Six Absolutes: Athletic or Jump Stance, Be Tall, Spread the Chest to Lock-in the Lower Back, Toes Aligned and Knees Aligned.
IMPLEMENT IT CORRECTLY
A. All sports do the same basic program and start in the 7th grade.
B. Train together.
C. Use the Five Power Axioms for Success.
1. Establish a unified team goal: Dream the biggest dream!
2. Establish a work ethic goal: On a scale of one to ten, Be an Eleven!
3. Stay Focused: Stand together, make goal choices, keep your eye single to the glory of accomplishing your goal.
4. Play the song you came on earth to play.
5. Help teammates reach their goals in mind, body and spirit.